HEY P(r)ESTO !

Yeah yeah yeah its Friday.

Tomorrow is market day at St Michel for me... St Michel is the most amazing experience, especially to a foreigner. Its a huge market every Saturday morning underneath the spire of St Michel which is the second largest spire in France ( that's a fact!!). If you are a reader from out of Bordeaux I'm sure you can inform us about other fab markets. Please do...

So why is this market so special...well its just different from all the others..Yes I LOVE strolling along the riverside at the Chartrons Sunday market, and I always take tourists there but its rather pricey...not much change out of 10 euro for a handful of hard cherry tomatos and a kg of rather ordinary apples.

I take the tram among the "quais" to the St Michel stop and walk through the dark alleys, not yet privy to the municipality's clean up programme, into the interior of the Place St Michel and am instantly in another world...cloth and shoe vendors yelling out bargains, 2 meters for 1, buy one pair get one free...I go over to the fruit and vegetable section.The difference here is that with 10 euros I can barely pull my caddy as it will be quickly filled - overflowing with fresh peaches for 2 euros a kg, barquettes of fresh fleshy figs, bags of red red tomatoes which smell like heaven, 3 huge lettuces for 1 euro, bright green round corgettes to stuff, bags of walnuts & hazelnuts, sachets of blanched almonds and pinenuts, viscous lavendar honey,enormous bunches of herbs for a song...

There's another reason I love this market so much - its the epicentre of the Bordeaux Maghreb community. Here there are more women dressed in long traditional Maghreb dress and scarves than bobbed Bordelaise in navy blue cardigans and pearls!! And yes they are all screaming, laughing and bargaining with the vendors...."2 for the price of one...no, I want 4 for the price of one!!" I LOVE this. My poor french husband hates it when I barter and bargain...its really not the "done thing" in France...but hey, I'm a kiwi and I started young. He just walks away and sits down with the papers and a moroccan mint tea...something in itself to savour.

 Anyway September here means herbs for me. For the next 2 weekends I'll be on " pesto duty"...my aim is to make enough pesto to get me through to at least next spring. I buy bunches and bunches of fresh flat parsley, kilos of walnuts to make Walnut and Parsley pesto. Then its onto the Basil and Pinenut pesto.. Try out my pesto recipes....such a diddle you'll wonder why you ever bought ready-made!

Comments

  1. Loving watching you make the pesto, definitely worth visiting Bordeaux

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and you can test out and taste the pesto on pasta with fresh cream and grated parmy tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We so look forward to reading your comments.....

Popular posts from this blog

PULLING OUT MY HAIR, again!

OLYMPIC SOB

THE GRACIOUS ART OF MEDITATION