RISOTTO ALLA MILANESE...

Try and resist....

I can never resist creamy, yellow, saffron risotto.

The first time I ate it I thought I had died and gone to kitchen heaven.

Great food writer Claudia Roden, in her brilliant book, The Food of Italy, tells us how this Milanese dish was the classic partner of  Osso Buco and that it was traditionally cooked with the marrow of veal or beef.

Marrow really freaks me out..I am clearly not a traditional Italian housewife/mama. Well thank god for that. To be honest I don't have enough hours in the day to spend bent over my sink spooning out the interior of bones...I'd rather go out for lunch with my girlfriends and spoon out the horrors of my week over a decent bottle of wine!! So I use veal stock or fond de veau...thank you Maggi.


I sense the real foodies are shuddering at my shortcut..well hey, you can also make your own Fond de Veau too. Good luck to you...



Fond de Veau
big enormous pot
copious amounts of veal bones
bunches of parsley
bay leaves
1 kg carrots
bunch of celery
tablespoon rock salt
teaspoon black pepper corns
a few juniper seeds

...cover with water and
 let it boil all day until there is only about 3 inches of liquid left,
drain and pop in fridge, it will turn into a jelly like substance.




See my less traditional but frustrated-working-mother-friendly version of Risotto alla milanese. Have also added an artichoke side to serve with. I buy my rice from La Bocca, rue de Notre Dame.

Comments

  1. Love your recipes! Stunning idea for artichokes.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make this, it looks delicioius. I will also be using stock from my supermarket. Hillarious captions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie, I need help....I walked away for 5 mins and came back to black rice???? What should I do, I have never made Risotto before???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Risotto is not rocket science but its a bit like a man...you can't leave it alone for long!!
    As I said in the recipe stay with it and keep stirring, keep the heat to a minimum...I always have a glass of wine on hand for myself to make the task a little less onerous. Good luck, try again, don't give up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love more of this.You crack me up!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We so look forward to reading your comments.....

Popular posts from this blog

PULLING OUT MY HAIR, again!

OLYMPIC SOB

THE GRACIOUS ART OF MEDITATION