WINTER SUPPERS - back to easy desserts

I am not really a dessert person.

It took me a while to be polite enough to eat the busy creamy French patisserie at dinner parties here. I await spring and its simple strawberry and raspberry tarts with melt in the mouth pastry.

In France it's almost considered a little hokey to make your own desserts...the trend is more towards buying some fabulously expensive ornamental cake from the patisserie for your guests. When I first arrived in Bordeaux I remember a rather bordelaise woman saying " oh how charming she has made her own dessert"...the dripping condescending sarcasm did not  go over my head. I still make my own desserts.

We are having our usual Sunday Chicken today replete with roasted potatoes and green beans. I have made my mother's Lemon Soufflé which I will serve chilled. My children adore this light lemony dessert...It's also a lovely end to a heavy evening meal after entrée, main course, cheese etc etc......


Soothing Lemon Souflé, circa 1954


2 tablespoons butter, salted
1 cup sugar
Rind and juice of two lemons, well washed
2 cups milk
4 eggs separated

Cream sugar and butter. Add yolks, lemon rind, juice, milk. Beat well.
Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
Bake 45 - 50 minutes standing in a dish of water.

For a dinner party I add home made lemon sorbet and fold in rose petals...

Comments

  1. Lemon Soufflé is really yummy. Loved the texture. Great easy recipe, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We so look forward to reading your comments.....

Popular posts from this blog

PULLING OUT MY HAIR, again!

OLYMPIC SOB

THE GRACIOUS ART OF MEDITATION