SATURDAY SHOPPING REVISITED

..getting paranoid over Saturday shopping again.


This is what happend to me today.

Went into one of my favourite kitchen/hardware stores. 
Looking for pannecotta moulds, looking for old fashioned charlotte moulds, looking for whatever. Smiling, afterall it is Saturday. No?







The owner and assistant watch me going up and down the tiny aisles swinging my shopping basket. They smile. I smile.
They smile again, I smile back... with eyes this time.
Would you like some advice madam? 
No, I reply, smiling. Still in Saturday swinging  basket mode mode.
Now in the knife section, wowing over ceramic knives, nearly fainting over prices.
See the same two looking at me then whispering to themselves.
A moustache gets smoothed down ( no not mine!! went to beautician last week!) Begin to feel a little uncomfortable. Are they worried might break their ramekins? 
Realisation hits.Oh god they think I'm a shop lifter. Its the basket. Have a major Bridget Jones moment.....
Madam is there some thing you are looking for?
No not at all I blurt? feeling like convict, still smiling, but more like obliterated chesire cat.
In that case I would invite you to leave the premises Madam.
Now am beginning to get that hot feeling at back of neck.
Am absolutely too shocked to say anything as I am lead to door....walk across road, glance back and see shop door rolling down.
Look at watch, its 1 o'clock. Lunchtime!
Walk home relieved but dazed.
17 years later and can still do culture shock.

vive la france!!!!!!...where lunchtime means you can toss out the clients, even during an economic crisis.

Comments

Post a Comment

We so look forward to reading your comments.....

Popular posts from this blog

PULLING OUT MY HAIR, again!

OLYMPIC SOB

THE GRACIOUS ART OF MEDITATION