CHARM AND CHARME

Ready, steady...RANT!


Beauty v Brains


Elegance v Wit


Packaging v Content


Charm v Charme

Living in France for nearly 20 years, it is not yesterday that I suddenly realised that your "exterior" is your calling card.


But I do have a bone to pick!


I am simply sick to death of people being heralded for their looks. The girls with brains, the thinking-machines, the clever ones get left behind..that is unless they are " charmantes" to boot!


Let's look at that word,..charmant, charme..this is often a sticky word, lost in translation by anglophones.
Where I grew up a  " charming" person was someone with interest, intelligence, humour, good manners and wit - someone who included you, ushered you into a conversation or poured you a strong G & T and listened during a personal crisis. 
A "charming" person for me is someone who is cultured.


During my first few years in France I was often decked by surprise when people referred to  as charmant opened their mouths and nothing fell out or simply stood like an accessory to a dinner party, mute and seemingly, quite stupid. Dullards!!


I even remember my ex-husband suggesting I work on my charme rather than chatting so much at dinner parties. Note the word, EX! We lived in the country so when going out I would put up my hair and pull on a pair of sensible boots ( mud, puddles, excrement...) where as the french women were letting their hair down and popping on heels. Charmant!
I just didn't get it....


I feel it is time to start celebrating intelligent and witty women in France rather than just ignoring them..it is SO "high school" in attitude. Let's take politicians for an example..how is it that short, squat, overweight chaps in politics get away with so much shinnanigans? Male, Politician, Power = CHARME 
What about their female counterparts...also often short, squat and not overly slim..? I have never heard Martine Aubrey beng referred to as charmante ! But I am sure she would be better (and safer!!) company to be sat next to at a dinner party than most of her male colleagues!!


I started researching the word charme in french this morning and apart from the obvious "hornbeam tree" I came up with  photo de charm...which is  " glamour photography* "  in English. 
This alone points out how charm and charme are indeed false friends.


ps What do you think about this..my week's favourite.. 
Took the dog for a walk yesterday. Raining, grey weather, obviously decked out in sweat pants and rainwear..as was the dog. Pass perfumerie/makeup shop and see new Shalimar perfume in window and think, ooh must go in for a tester. Go in to try it out but the women suggests I should go for more " sporty" type perfumes.....? Was honestly speechless. 
Sweat pants = minimal CHARME, sports person ??


*Glamour photography is a genre of photography 
whereby the subjects, usually female, 
are portrayed in a romantic or sexually alluring way. 
The subjects may be fully clothed or seminude.


On that note I am going to empower myself with a bag of carrots and the food processor.
Soup time!


Carrot, Coconut Spiced Soup


1kg carrots
1.25 l water
3 red onions
4 large potatoes
1t cumin
1t cinnamon
25cl coconut milk
1T nigella seeds


Peel and chop carrots and potatoes plus 2 onions. Throw them onto soup pot with water and cook approx 40 mins on a medium flame. Once tender take off flame. 
Add last onion, finely minced, plus spices and coconut milk. Wizz in food processor or a vitamiser. 
I push mine through a sieve as this increases the velvety texture.

Comments

  1. Carrot soup looks good. Is it easy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am yet another anglophone who got stuck on that word, charme. I so agree with you about the differences in meaning. Aprreciated your rant about brainy girls not being as appreciated as their charmant counterparts!! Love your blog, it is really brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We so look forward to reading your comments.....

Popular posts from this blog

PULLING OUT MY HAIR, again!

OLYMPIC SOB

THE GRACIOUS ART OF MEDITATION