SIGNING WHILST SHOPPING

...the joys of an accent

Have to blog about my latest encounter of the "racist" kind...

My son is off to London for a week.

Born and bred in South West France, he hasn't any notion of "putting on a coat." 

Even at 17 we have to battle with him to put on his coat when the temps drop below zero...which, fortunately, is not often!

This morning the mother went off to Galleries Lafayette to battle in the sales to find him a coat...

I was wearing my nerves on my sleeve as he wasn't with me and he is notoriously difficult when it comes to clothing. The coat I suggested yesterday was rejected as "ski" rather the "street" wear. 

I decided to be thoroughly modern and photograph the coats and text the photos to him to choose.

So there I was in the madding throbbing crowd, photographing away when a shop assistant and her streaky-haired number 2 came up to me and very firmly told me that photographing was stricting not allowed...I looked around for signs telling me the same and remarked to her that there were no notices to that effect and that I was terribly sorry.

And there it was........................!!!!!!MY ACCENT! Ammo...
Her eyes rolled to her accomplice. She then actually yelled in slow motion pigeon french the equivalent of " PHOTOGRAPHS NO ALLOW" whilst doing some kind of sign language...dramatic head shaking followed by miming of taking photographs.

Rather taken aback I thought it better to follow her lead. I replied in perfect french ( accented albeit!)
...I don't care.The client is king...
whilst miming the placing of my crown on my fair head!!!

Luckily for her I don't know the french for " "Blow it out your ....."
Now that would make for an interesting mime!

Comments

  1. I must admit I am waiting to hit with a handbag while I am taking pictures at some French Markets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since when haven't they allowed photographs in GalLaf? Good thing my middle daughter wasn't there, she goes effortlessly from the poshest English to posh French to gutter French (completely vanquished a stroppy neighbour who thought that as we were English he could stop us from doing all sorts of things)and undoubtedly does know 'blow it out...' and quite a lot more as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Victoria...when can I go shopping with your daughter!!!???
    Kindly hand her over

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Steve..perhaps you could consider a crash helmet for market days?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susie, I've just nominated you for a Liebster Blog award which is for blogs that have less than 200 followers (not sure if this is true in your case) and deserve a wider readership. If you'd like to accept it just go back to my blog and copy the image. Then it's up to you to nominate five other blogs to get an award. A sort of blogging chain mail but your hair won't go green or teeth drop out if you don't want and break the chain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They used to have a 'Client is King' promotion in my local town...a sticker with a crown on it in the doors of participating businesses.

    After going three rounds with the owner of a paint shop refusing to accept that she had made up the wrong paint mix it occurred to me that the French reaction to royalty was not one to be recommended and that perhaps the 'Client is King' had an ulterior meaning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We so look forward to reading your comments.....

Popular posts from this blog

PULLING OUT MY HAIR, again!

OLYMPIC SOB

THE GRACIOUS ART OF MEDITATION